Rotorua is well known as a tourist destination, however there is so much more to do there than just cultural shows. Here are the top ten attractions that are all kid friendly with not a cultural show in sight (in no particular order):
- Redwoods Treewalk – Suspended high above the forest floor, encounter 75m tall redwoods as you walk across eco-suspended bridges and platforms. No minimum age, special pushchairs available for babies.
- Zorb - Superman dive into a giant inflatable ball and roll down Mt Ngongotaha with ZORB, where the fun will have you laughing uncontrollably. Minimum age is 5 years old.
- Motion Entertainment - An indoor entertainment centre like no other! With 8 operators under one roof, they have something for everyone. Experiences from Chipmunks, laser tag, mini golf or escape room, you are guaranteed to have fun. Age ranges depend on experience selected.
- aMAZEme – Get lost in 1.4 kilometres of winding hedge lined pathways where the object of this maze is to find your way to the centre. There is also a small animal petting experience, McGregor’s garden, aviary and playground. No minimum age, open on Thursday – Monday.
- Skyline Luge – take the gondola up to the top and then zip off down the scenic or intermediate track towards the bottom of the mountain. Minimum age is 6 years old to ride unaccompanied, but younger can ride with a parent so long as they can walk.
- 3d Trick Art Gallery - 3D Trick Art Gallery features over 50 pieces of life-size and hyper realistic murals inspired from nature and lifestyle. Make sure you have your camera ready when you visit here. No minimum age.
- Paradise Valley Springs - Enjoy wild animals, sociable farm animals and a wide selection of birds. There is also a pride of African Lions where the afternoon feeding show is a great time to see the lions active and to learn more about the pride. No minimum age.
- Duck Tours - It’s time to explore Rotorua and what better way than with a Rotorua City & Lakes tour with Rotorua Duck Tours. The 90-minute tour visits 3 stunning lakes and a bird sanctuary. No minimum age.
- Wingspan National Bird of Prey Centre – Visit and see birds of prey up close during interactive flying displays. Be part of the conservation towards Karearea NZ Falcon. Open on Thursdays – Sunday only, bookings are essential with a flying display at 11.30am.
- Rotorua Aquatic Centre – There are an array of water activities from indoor or outdoor pools, the lazy river, splash pad and much more. The indoor pool has inflatables and a Tarzan swing and the 18-metre fun pool has two water cannons and water bikes! No minimum age but children under 8 must be supervised at all times by an adult 16 years or older.